Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Overflow: Decemberists- "Everything I Try To Do, Nothing Seems To Turn Out Right"

Song I Woke Up With In My Head.

Regardless of Colin Meloy's Smiths influence, his unique turn of phrase and rich folk-pop compositions make him one of the most original and fun songwriters around.
While the most wistful of the Mozzer's lyrics center around not have the one he can't have, "Everything I Try To Do..." takes the fresh perspective of the singer being in a relationship that he is bored by: "We turned off the tube and crawled to your room leaving discarded clothes in our wake and we both had some fun, though I twice bit my tongue, and it lasted too long for my taste."

Meloy's tenor voice along with a wonderfully textured slide guitar and organ make this more than just a b-side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home